Top Tips to Curb Your Cravings

Curb Cravings

Food cravings are an intense desire to consume a specific food – which is different from normal hunger.

Cravings could be a physiological sign that your body is lacking in a certain nutrient; or hormones might be the driving force behind your urge to find a chocolate bar. Some say that cravings are simply a function of habit.

It’s likely that cravings are a combination of both physiological and situational factors. Since we’re not doctors, we’re not going to get into the physiological reasons why you crave certain foods, but we can address the situational reasons. Let’s start by taking a look at what you crave and some of the reasons why.

Take a moment and ask yourself:

• What kind of foods do I crave when I’m happy, want to celebrate or reward myself?
  • What about when I’m feeling down, sad, depressed, or something negative has happened
  • Do I eat out of boredom or habit? What types of foods satisfy me in these situations
  • How do I feel while I’m eating these foods?
  • How do I feel afterwards?

Now that you’ve given some thought as to why you might be craving certain foods, here are a few tips that can help you curb those cravings:

Eat – Eat well, and eat often. Feeling deprived, like you’re missing out on something, will lead you to crave that food. By making better choices and having occasional treats, your cravings are likely to decrease. Eat mindfully throughout the day, and don’t let yourself get too hungry – that’s when you’re likely to give in to your cravings.

Distractions – Try and create a diversion so that you aren’t as aware of what you think you’re missing. If you pass by a cafe every day and are tempted by the sweet smell of fresh baked goods, then find an alternate route, or walk on the other side of the street.

Your environment – keep you environment free of the foods you crave. Don’t keep ice cream, chips, chocolate or other foods you crave in the house. If you really want that ice cream, go out for a scoop; or walk to the store to buy a small bag of chips. This approach helps give you pause, to really think about how much you want that item, and it also helps to manage portion sizes.

Have a bite, or two – but leave it at that; don’t eat the whole cake! Use a food trade-off if you really want to have that little something. For example, your co-worker brought in some amazing cookies – how can you not have one? Go ahead, have the cookie, but you’re also going to have a nice salad for lunch or go for a walk.

Manage your feelings – some of us are emotional eaters. If that’s you, it’s important for you to recognize it and manage those feelings first. Your emotional well-being is a priority and should be addressed.

Keep busy and wait – sometimes if you keep yourself busy with something, you can wait out the craving. By busying yourself you can try and ignore the craving and move on – mind over matter 🙂

Lastly, if you remember one thing, it’s that eating mindfully most of the time will allow you to indulge some of the time – without the guilt 🙂

You can also check out this post to see how I handled my doughnut craving.

17 Comments

1. Cassie
    July 24, 2017

It makes so much sense not to keep foods in the house that you are likely to binge on!! I’m fortunate enough to be a person who can have a square or two of chocolate and thats it – but my partner can’t so I have to keep the chocolate hidden haha

1. chantal
      July 27, 2017

So thoughtful to hide the chocolates 🙂

2. Mica
    July 24, 2017

These are good tips! Chocolate is my most craved food, haha! I always end up eating some if we have it in the house, but at work when I don’t have it I can get through the whole day without it just fine – I should try not having it in the house like you suggested! 🙂

1. chantal
      July 27, 2017

Yes, managing your environment is an easy way to keep your munching in check – if you don’t see it, you won’t eat it 😉

3. Nicole
    July 24, 2017

Great tips! I once heard that cravings usually last about 20 minutes or so. If you wait 20 minutes and you still want whatever it was you were craving, you’re probably hungry.

4. Rebecca
    July 24, 2017

I definitely think that cravings are our bodies way of telling us what our bodies need with the exception of sugar!! I know I am addicted to this but with a good shift in my eating habits this would be easy to combat.

5. RikaConfesses
    July 24, 2017

I always try to use the standard of.. if I really, really want something not-so-nutritious, I wait a little while and eat something with nutritional value if I’m actually hungry. Then if I still really really want it later, I just have some and don’t worry about it.
    I guess I’m lucky though, because fruits and vegetables are probably my most craved thing.

1. chantal
      July 27, 2017

Great approach, I agree 100%.

6. Susan Minich
    July 25, 2017

These are great tips! My weakness is tortilla chips. Wish they sold them in a smaller bag!

1. chantal
      July 27, 2017

Yes, I love tortilla chips too. I have found them at a few small stores in smaller bags, perfect size!

7. Susanne
    July 26, 2017

I just started a diet and man do I want something sweet so bad!! I haven’t had time to make any of the dessert recipes that go along with the diet yet. I think when you decide you can’t have it is when you want it the worst, lol. I hardly ever eat sweets.

1. chantal
      July 27, 2017

The craving for sweets is hard to kick, even when you don’t eat THAT much of it. The fact is, it’s everywhere, so when we cut it out, it’s a pretty big adjustment. I found eating a few raisins here and there, along with a few walnuts, helped satisfy that sweet tooth yet wasn’t enough to derail me from my new eating habits. You can do it!

8. Vicki Law
    July 26, 2017

Good timing. I need these tips right now for some reason I have been craving fried bread of all things.

1. chantal
      July 27, 2017

Fried bread craving is interesting, yet I can relate 🙂

9. Dominika
    July 28, 2017

Yes I agree with you on curbing cravings. Great tips.

10. Stacey
    July 28, 2017

Mines definitely hormonal, as I have a bad imbalance that really impacts my day to day life sometimes. That’s why I definitely try not to have bad food in the house…: though as a cake maker that can be hard!! Great tips though, thank you!

1. chantal